Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Freezing Summer Squash

I have an overgrowth of summer squash this year. I pick at least 3 a day, which is way more than we can eat. Instead of letting it go bad in the garden, I have started freezing it. A year ago I didn't even know you could freeze squash! Thanks to taking steps to learning how to store my poduce I have learned many new things this year. Here is how I do it....

First, pick the squash and slice it (however you like).
Then get your water boiling to blanch it before freezing. I blanch mine in boiling water for about 3 minutes.

Next you move your squash immediately into ice water. This stops the cooking process. You will leave the squash here for another 3 minutes.


After you have cooled the squash, seal it in a freezer bag making sure to push as much air out as you can. I also like to dry my squash a little before putting it in the freezer bag. I lay down a clean dish towel and use a slotted spoon to scoop the squash onto it. Then pat it with another clean dishtowel. This helps keep the squash firmer and not so mushy when you defrost it.


Who would have thought preserving all that summer squash could be so easy!? You can also use these exact same instructions for zucchini and green beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment