Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Canning Corn

A friend of mine had too much corn for her own family this year and offered up her field to anyone that wanted some. Since I didn't grow any this year, I jumped at the chance for fresh corn! I took home 28 ears. I saved 6 for dinner that night and decided to bottle the rest. This was the first time I have ever bottled corn or used a pressure canner. It was eventful to say the least. Let's start at the beginning... First I shucked and washed the corn.

Next I cut all of the corn from the cob. This is time cosuming and I did cut myself once or twice.

After that, I put all the corn in a pan, covered it with water and boiled it for 3 minutes. While waiting for the corn to boil, I started getting my bottles ready.


After the 3 minutes were up, I started filling my jars, sealing the lids and placing them in the canner.



Once the pressure canner got going at the right pressure, it was time to watch and wait. 102 minutes of waiting! Finally time was up! I took the pressure canner off the heat and let it sit while the pressure inside dissipated. After about 30 minutes, I took the lid off. I let it sit for another 30 minutes or so before deciding to remove the jars.

Now,  future reference for anyone canning for the first time DO NOT let the hot bottle touch anything hard (such as a countertop) or this will happen....




Yes! They do become corn bombs! The jar slipped from the bottle gripper just as I was getting ready to set it on the pad and it barely touched the lip of my counter. The jar exploded into corn, glass and steaming liquid shrapnel! Luckily, I only ended up with 3 tiny burns from the scalding hot liquid. I've heard of it happening and honestly was a little afraid of it happening to me. But, it did, i survived, and now I know better. (I let the batch of green beans sit in the canner for about 5 hours before attempting removal!)

In the end, I have 4 beautiful bottles of corn. Picked, shucked, cooked and canned all by myself!


1 comment: